Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How time flies by...

Today is the second snow day in a row and as I sat in bed (I'm literally under the weather) I thought this is a perfect time to post an update.
I had made it a New Years Resolution to be a better blogger so I think I'm doing well since it's only Feb. 2nd.

Let me just update really quickly:
- still living at home which has been an experience all of its own. I have learned to be so much more patient and to try to think before I speak. I have not moved out yet despite the fact that I have a job teaching. The problem with this is that I am a short term hire and get a pink slip at the end of the year. This of course means that I am not sure I'll be able to find another job here in Abq due to tremendous budget cuts. So I am stuck for now until I find a job next year that will be permanent. I still would love to move but teaching jobs are difficult to come by everywhere these days.
- still in school. I am finishing my last semester of graduate school and should be graduating, barring any unforeseen bad grades, this May. The entire experience of working on a masters degree and teaching my first year has been the hardest thing I've ever done. It is a constant balancing act and one thing is always lacking. While I am looking forward to May and being done I am actually considering starting my Doctorate of Education in August. Crazy I know, but exciting at the same time.
- I love teaching. I took over a 2nd grade classroom 2 weeks into the beginning of the school year. Every moment of the last 2 years has been worth it. The first year of teaching has been such an amazing experience. While I am devastated by the failure of our education system as a whole (I'm sure I'll have lots to say about this shortly), I am reminded daily of the power that learning can have on a child's self-esteem.
- My relationship. John and I are still officially together. I had considered breaking it off but have decided that standing by someone you love and care about when they are in their darkest moment is what I would want from him. While I don't think I should say too much I will say that depression is a terrible daemon to fight alone and it can rob you of your desire for living very quickly. The strange thing is that I myself suffer from depression and have been on medication for 20 years. I know what life is like when I don't take my medication and I allow that daemon to take over. But despite the fact that I am intimately acquainted with how John is feeling I still took it personal. I thought that because my love wasn't bringing him out of it that he didn't care for me. I was wrong! Now that John has agreed to take medication and start dealing with his past I know he will once again be that amazing man I fell in love with.

So that's about it. I wish I had fun and exciting hobbies to report on but really I have so little time. I will start posting some of the fun things from my classroom as that is where all my creativity is going.

I'll post some pictures as well. Just for the fun of it. Because who wants to read all that and not see pictures, right?



This is my class on Halloween. We had a party and watched "The Witches". The kids absolutely loved that book and were so excited to see the movie.
Here we are in our costumes. It was a "storybook parade" and we all had to dress up as a literary character. I of course was Pippi Longstocking!
This picture was taken at Thanksgiving. How I love my gorgeous sisters!!!

John and I this past September. I'll post a more current one when I transfer it off my iphone.

No comments: